At the 2019 AGM held in Mornington, Tony Collins #440 was awarded Dearnley Medal #69. This was the submission made to the National Committee
1.Long-time Ride Coordinator for the Fremantle Branch. Even when relinquishing the position after many years, is still always ready to assist any newcomers including Ride Leaders.
2.Always avails his home for fundraisers and Christmas parties.
3.Initiated ‘spanners and coffee’ on Saturday mornings at his home as an option for Ulysses members to service their bikes and utilise his servicing facilities.
4.Coordinated the Moto-Crew (Ulysses members as well as HOGS and other Motorcycle Clubs) for the ‘Women’s Walk Against Cancer’ to help raise in excess of $3,000,000. Tony stepped in as the previous Coordinator was unable to assist at the time.
5.Coordinated the Moto-Crew (Ulysses members as well as HOGS and other Motorcycle Clubs) for the ‘Ride to Conquer Cancer’ to raise funds for the Harry Perkins Institute. This involves coordinating and scheduling corner markers locations over a two-day period, including refreshments. Usually this requires some 50 plus volunteers for the corner marking. This role requires him to work with the organising committee and Tony has done this for several years.
6. Coordinated the 2017 Odyssey that Fremantle Branch hosted at Collie. Tony’s efforts helped raise over $5,000 for the Flying Doctor Service. This was largely achieved from a stall selling donated Motorcycle goods from clothing to hardware. Tony visited the WA branches in our South West from North of Perth down to Albany and was the collection person for the donated goods. He worked in conjunction with the Heritage and Classic Motorcycle Club to have races that weekend which were enjoyed by all. He also ensured that accommodation providers were on board and conveyed that information to the branches. He was integral to the booking of the Recreation Club which was the Centre for the activities as well as the Italian Club for the combined meal.
7. Regular contributor to the Fremantle Branch Magazine ‘The Wheezy Rider’.
8. Coordinated numerous overseas ride-trips for Ulysses members including the USA and Vietnam.
9. Organised an annual pilgrimage for many years to Margaret River Region in Western Australia where his family has an interest in share accommodation. A great break for people to unwind and interact.
10. Oversees a long term Ulysses member who has dementia and regularly visits and picks him up and takes him to functions and events. Coordinates his welfare and administration.
11. Tony was pivotal in planning, organising and running the AGM’s in both Albany and Alice Springs a role in which he excelled despite the enormous amount of travel involved. He is one of the key people in the planning for the 2021 National Rally in Mandurah.
12. Tony is always willing to help people and goes well and truly "above and beyond" to assist others, eg when he noticed that a new member's chain was dry, he invited that new member to his place upon completion of that ride. He taught her how to lubricate the chain and even gave some chain lube that was surplus to his requirements.
The National Committee congratulates Tony and thanks him for his service